Monday 5 August 2013

Costa Coffee, E17 7JR


The principle behind this blog is to support independent coffee shops so that our local area thrives. But I have to blog about the Costa Coffee in The Mall, because for me, it's about the  beginning of life in Walthamstow and I’m not really blogging about the coffee.

I bought my first flat when I moved to Walthamstow in 2009. I’d been living in Stoke Newington (sound familiar?) for four years and my landlord decided to sell the beautiful period 2 bedroom house I was living in, just off Church Street, with my Canadian housemate. She decided to move back to Canada, I decided it was finally time to buy.

As a first time buyer, I didn’t know what I was looking for. I had my list of desirable features but I didn’t know what I would compromise on, so I looked at 42 properties before I put in an offer – bonkers! I suspect the estate agents were incredibly fed up!

Buying on my own meant that the emotional support and practical advice I needed, came from my parents. They also think I’m mad, for living such an urban place when I grew in the New Forest. Whenever my Mum visits her standard question seems to be ‘If you could live anywhere, where would it be?’

Once I’d put in an offer, I needed their help with a second viewing. They drove to London and I hopped on the tube from Seven Sisters.

I remember walking through the automatic doors at the entrance to The Mall from the Town Square Gardens and peering around the corner, and seeing them both stood by the counter with cups in their hand, chatting. It was so reassuring and I suddenly felt like Walthamstow was somewhere I could really live. That this would be my life – being present in London with urban amenities and cultural milk and escaping to them in the country, for the green relaxation, peace and quiet.

So now when I walk past the Costa, I remember that day. Sometimes fleetingly as I’m rushing through, sometimes not so fleetingly.

I’ve probably only been there once or twice in the last four years. When I switched to soya milk a year ago, Costa became my chain of choice over Cafe Nero (when no independent is available of course!), because Nero charge extra for soya. I zipped in to this store recently on the way to catching a bus and ordered a medium soya latte (£2.40). I was incredibly impressed by how clean and tidy it was, much more so than branches in central London. It was also well staffed with polite, smiling people.

Accessibility... the bonus with large chains is that they are much more obliged to invest in physically accessible stores. This store is flat throughout, some thoroughfares are a bit tight as they have a lot of tables and chairs. Toilets, including accessible, are available in the mall.

Popular with... shoppers, parents with buggies, and reminiscing young women.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own review...