Tuesday 26 November 2013

Lot 107, E17 3LL

Lot 107 menuLot 107 (found at 107 Wood Street, opposite the indoor market) is part of the newly-popular Wood Street cluster of cafes. Wood Street has a similar mix of eateries to the High Street but far less footfall. That obviously has pros and cons, and I hope these businesses continue to survive but retain some of their peace. I head to Wood Street when I want a walk, a little browsing in the shops and a peaceful coffee. I head to the High Street for people watching and have a coffee for a rest after battling down the market.

When I started the blog, I decided to visit places at least twice before writing about them. This rule has served 107’s coffee well, because unfortunately on my first visit it was a huge disappointment. I ordered a large soya latte, it was sweet, weak and lacked body. On my second visit, I was asked if I wanted a second shot. Of course – here was the problem! I’d assumed that large drink = two shots. A reminder to me, to check! And yes, the coffee is good, mellow and drinkable. 

Large soya latte

Lot 107 stands out because of the quality of their food offering, especially their all day breakfast. Everything is fresh and well made. One of my favourite dishes in the world is Eggs Benedict. Whilst I do believe it’s boring to continually order the same thing, this dish makes me happy. I could easily show you a series of Eggs Benedict photos.

Eggs Benedict
Eggs Benedict £4.95
The egg is always perfectly poached and I think they use a high proportion of lemon juice in the hollandaise sauce because it’s a strong flavour which quickly cuts through the richness. Friends have tried other dishes on the menu, and can attest that they are just as good!

The staff are friendly and the service is quick. They are clearly popular – on one visit at 4pm on a Saturday (an hour before closing) they were still busy. It’s full height shop window at the front means it’s light and airy even in the worst weather. They have plenty of tables so you shouldn’t have to wait for a seat. In summer their space doubles, as the garden gets full use with large picnic tables and small bistro tables. They also grow some veggies in the back, which presumably contribute to the menu in summer.

Open Monday to Friday, 7am-5pm and Saturday 9am-5pm, with free wifi. It’s disappointing they’re not open on a Sunday as Wood Street’s Sunday offering is growing and I think they’d turn a good trade. On Tuesday’s they have a coffee morning from 9 -11, half price cakes with any hot drink – I imagine it’s a popular slot! You can find the soup choice and other specials on their Twitter feed @LOT107.

Leek and potato soup
Leek and potato soup

Popular with... older teenagers, families with little ones and shoppers from Wood St Market. 

Accessibility... There is a small step at the entrance that would be difficult for powered wheelchair users (more than just a bump), but probably fine for people using manual chairs. Tons of space inside to move around. Toilets are available, with baby changing facilities, accessed by going out the back door down the side of the garden. I'm afraid I forgot to check whether there was a step here, but I will on my next visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own review...